4.11.2006

Interviews and Discussions

today i felt like a grown-up in some ways. today was my interview with a philadelphia firm. overall, i think it went well but i was most surprised about how "drawn out" it felt. over the course of the entire afternoon, i met with maybe 10 or so people, some of them very "interview-esque", some of them simply asked to talk to me in order to give me a fuller idea of what it might be like to work at the firm and to live in philadelphia. actually i have to say i appreciated the breadth of the visit but it did leave me slightly cross-eyed though. in general, of what i could gathered i met with representatives from both the "urban design" practice and the "architecture" practice...as interview interviews. then i met with a fellow younf professional.. actually, two of them, one which gave me a short walking tour of philly, the other whom just talked about her own experiences in the office, and finally the HR person talked to me to try to sell me the benefits of the firm. and of course, i got an office tour right after i had to hurry to get a ride back to airport. i was planning on taking the $5 train but just my luck in was running late so, to avoid really being late for my flight, i just took the $25 taxi to the airport and got there 20 minutes later... plenty of time to do a little shopping at the airport mall.
.
i felt grown up i have to say, dressed in my suit, pulling my little carry-on...which broke, and flying around on "business". it was very cute. and of course, the day spent talking to other professionals trying to prove my professionalism also helped it. but i guess what topped off the feeling of adultness was that from work, i came home to a little bit of what i might look forward as a complete life in the future. that guy i went out with last week offered to pick me up from the airport and take me for a short little tour of some interesting spots he knew of in boston. so yes, i came home to a man... haha. sweet. actually i have to give it to the boy, he took me to some fairly novel places in the city. first off was the huge mary statue in east boston, lodged in this bablylonia looking tower... very surreal... and also a great view of the city. then was the revere beach and this little carry out called kelly's roast beef. it was nice seeing the ocean, and interesting having that sort of beachy coney-island food. then finally he drove me into somerville to check out the surreal "round house"... and old delapidated house in just a regular neighborhood that literally is...well... round. it looks like a squat turret, three stories tall and... circular. very creepy as the windows are boarded up and the doors visbly pad-locked... obviously closed up and abandoned. just kind of totally creepy.
.
.
it was a lot of fun. we also had a small "talk" about where we thought this "thing" could or would go. i think we both came to the conclusion that we would try to be as "low-stress" about it as possible and just play it along, but keeping in mind i guess in a way, not to jump in too deep, but also to not let that stop you in some ways. does that make any sense? i dunno, we'll see. i do know that it's fun at the moment, and the making out in the car is so... haha... high school. although i certainly didn't do anything like that in high school. but i guess that's what you get when you are going out with a 23 year old. ha. we'll see what goes forward.
.
he is quite full of little nuances though that i find amusing. i am not sure if i'm into him or not though... and i think that may be the "pre-destining" spin i am putting on it, but i dunno, maybe i can open myself to something more... even if it most likely will dematerialize in the future. he does make me laugh and think in a small way... and he's sweet and sincere, so far. and i feel laid back with him, not trying per se to achieve anything. we'll see.
.
eventhough making out in the car was high school, the day overall felt very adult. after a needed sleep in my own bed, i woke up this morning and packed some odds and ends for my trip to houston... a trip for an interview to a firm i'm not really interested in but simply am using the opportunity for a free flight in order to ship some "stuff" home. and now, after struggling with some real estate spread sheets that are totally over my head...it feels, i need to move on get to the airport for some more adultish flying around the country.
.
it's gonna be a fun week kids.
.

1 Comments:

At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am catching up on my reading! That's really cute...I always wanted to go to Revere Beach - did you see the horseracing track??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home